March 6, 2010

Today

Today was Grandpa's memorial service.
It sucked.
But, it was also amazing.
So many people came.
People had to stand in the back.
My dad did the welcome and opening prayer.
Esther and her brother, Josh, sang.
John Schreiner played the piano.
Aunt Betty read Psalm 23.
Uncle Harry and Uncle Bill both did a eulogy.
The VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) did a special tribute to Grandpa.
The Army Honor Guard presented a flag to Grandma.
And everyone did exceptional.
I am getting copies of the eulogies, and I will post them on here soon.
They were beautiful.

I have been dreading this day all week.
I woke up feeling anxious.
I've been busy this week helping to get things ready for today.
We've been going through pictures, putting together a slide show, getting ready for out of town family to come in, and doing anything else that we could help with.
It's been comforting to be doing these things for Grandpa.
It's been comforting to be in Grandma and Grandpa's house every day this week.
It's been comforting to be around family....people who loved Grandpa as much as I did.

But today is almost over, and I don't want it to be.
It means that tomorrow I have to go back to normal life.
But, my life isn't normal without him.

He was such a huge part of my life, and my life will never be the same without him.
If you have not signed the guest book on Grandpa's obituary, please do.  You can get to it by clicking here.
If you have a story to share about him, that would be wonderful.
But, even if you don't, even if you barely knew him or didn't know him, please don't hesitate to sign it.
It is really comforting for our whole family to hear people's stories of Grandpa....even the littlest remembrance.


No comments:

Post a Comment